Friday, September 25, 2009

Rudransh

Begin the Beguine – A chance meeting at the shop of a sardar selling pav bhaji at VT turned into a sustained discussion on the architectural differences between Delhi and Mumbai – the first time i met a mind capable of appreciating and even enjoying the city’s oft ignored colonial charms. The next few days saw us drenched in sudden downpours, dodging well dressed and barely-discernable-at-first eunuchs and freaking out over the invisible ghost haunting the fire temple opposite our apartment. Over bhajia pav, impromptu pedicures and some massive shopping expeditions, I finally found a friend equally at ease with Bertrand Russell and Tariq Ali – and a man neither intimidated nor bored by my own interest in geopolitics and ancient history.
The past 4 years have seen me walk in and out of your life at will Rudy – and i’ve never heard you complain or mind even once. I do the disappearing act one day and months later, i call at 2 am on a weekday and there you are – and that’s what really gets to me , your amazing ability to go the distance even for recalcitrant ‘Macavvity’ friends like me . I always laughed this off by singing Khuda Hafiz but you never let go...
And so, in the past couple of months, I’ve come to realize that beyond the sexy grin, the devil may care attitude and the smart mouthed wit, the Michael Porter meets Chanakya grey cells and your own special brand of creativity, beyond the Gopi Number 1 – Gopi Number 15 and the sheer confidence with which you carry yourself, beyond all this that is so obvious about you , the one thing that really sets you apart from the rest of us is the way you care – and the way you never ever make a huge fuss about it ....... just go on caring.....you're just always there !
So 4 years ago, I never thought I’d say this someday (but I guess I thought wrong ) - Rudy - you’ve gone from being an acquaintance to a pal to a buddy to a friend to someone who’ll always be a very special part of my life. Thanks for being there whenever I've needed my friend and thanks for time and again reminding me that a true Diva never gives up , especially when she’s got you by her side.
Jai Ho!
P.S. – I owe you a song (and a sonnet)..... I haven’t forgotten :)

No comments: